What to do
- This is a quick activity to use when lining children up for lunch or a bathroom break. Before introducing the game, select one letter sound you want children to work with. For example, use the sound /p/. When you call a child to line up, replace the first sound of his name with /p/.
- It is time to go to lunch. Listen for me to call your name, and then you may line up. Listen closely. I am going to change the first sound of your name! Today I am going to use the sound “/p/.”
- Listen for your name. Pill. Puzy. Parah. Pob.
- Now it is your turn. Let’s all call Jan to line up. Ready. Give children a chance to call out the answer together. Very good. Let’s keep going.
- Allow the class to finish calling out the names.
- Repeat this activity every day with different letter sounds. As children progress, use blends and digraphs such as /ch/, /sh/, and /th/. (Digraphs).
- Observe students play the game. For students who struggle, give them help and make a note in an Activity Log.
 Related activities
 About this activity